Disclaimer:

Disclaimer: While I am a paid undergraduate researcher for Texas Tech University, the opinions expressed on this blog are my own. The statements on this blog are not endorsements of views of Texas Tech University, The Honors College of Texas Tech University, or the math department of Texas Tech University, or any other department or campus organization of Texas Tech University.

Friday, September 2, 2016

My Initial Beliefs about this election

Between the end of my predictions and today I have continued to monitor current events and their possible effect on the election. After watching press conferences, speeches, and the news media I had learned about the dynamics of this race.  I have decided with the help of Politco's Swing State information that I am considering the following 11 states swings states for the purpose of this election.
1. Colorado
2. Florida
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Nevada
6. New Hampshire
7. North Carolina
8. Ohio
9. Pennsylvania
10. Virginia
11. Wisconsin
These states have a total of 148 electoral college electors.
To help learn about these states I will be monitoring senate races, house races, and gubernatorial elections in these states to help me predict these states.

Based on previous elections I have divided the remaining states into red and blue.  This classification are fluid and some states in these categories may change before the election. For the sake of space and time I will not list these states at this time, but I will provide the electoral college total for each candidate from these states. I am currently assigning 0 states to both the Green Party and Libertarian Party Candidate because I do not foresee them winning a state at this time.

Red States (Donald Trump) : 173
Blue States (Hillary Clinton): 217

To win the election you need 270 electors.  Because of Hillary Clinton's lead in multiple polls and the fact she has 44 additional electors from non-swing states leads me to believe that Hillary Clinton has a better chance of being president than Donald Trump or the third party candidates.  However this may change.  But Donald Trump's recent comments about African Americans, immigration, and mexico have caused some voters to turn to Hillary Clinton or Gary Johnson (Libertarian Candidate).  From a math standpoint to win the election you must attract multiple demographics.  You need to appeal to voters regardless of gender, education, and race.  Now Hillary Clinton also has come up recently in the news about her email scandal.  But the information and narrative email scandal has not really changed in a few months so it shouldn't have a major effect on her (except in the unlikely event that Hillary gets charged with some crime relating to the emails).  



Bias Statement: I am currently undecided on who I will vote for in the election, although I consider myself a republican I do not have strong ties to any candidate in this election.

No comments:

Post a Comment